Why Do I Have To Go To The Salad Bar?
With the current lunch program, the "Salad Bar" is really how we serve ALL THE SIDE DISHES to complete every meal. In that serving area, there are always fruits, vegetables, and salads. Usually there are five to six selections. So far, there has always been one or two of each of the following categories :
• Green salad mixture. That consists of lettuce, spinach, carrots, and cabbage. Sometimes it has tomatoes and cucumbers as well. There are two dressings, made from scratch in the District 11 commercial kitchens, and they are quite good!
• A variety of other types of salads such as redskin potato salad, coleslaw, etc. These are made fresh daily in the District 11 kitchens and are very good. It was great to see students coming back for seconds!
• Fresh fruits such as apples, oranges and watermelon have been served almost every day. These are cut up and ready to eat. These have been very popular with the students.
• Some of the fruits are canned such as fruit cocktail, canned pears or peaches, and applesauce. All of these have moved quickly and we have had to restock them frequently, especially in the elementary lunch periods.
• Hot vegetables such as baked beans and corn have been the most popular items. There have also been mixtures such as peas and mushrooms that were not as popular but were taken by a number of the older students.
• Potato wedges (baked) taste a lot like French fries but are not nearly as high in fat. We will have to order more of these because they went like hotcakes!
• Cold vegetables such as carrots, celery, cucumbers, and mini tomatoes. Although not every student likes any one vegetable, these also appeal to a number of students, especially with Ranch dressing on the side!
One of the best things about these side dishes is that they are ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT! Students are to bring back their trays to the cashier, throw them in the trash where we can see them, get a new small plate and then get their seconds (or thirds!). They are NOT to share their food with a friend. That rule is true in any ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT venue. They also need to keep their utensils as we do not have a budget for new forks and spoons every time they get seconds.
If your son or daughter tells you that we made them go back and get something at the Salad Bar, that would be because they are in grades K-5 and they came through the line with nothing except the entrée. We will always insist that they go to the salad bar and select at least one item. Since there is such a good selection, we know they can find something, even if it is a small serving, that they can at least try. We don't want kids rushing through the line and not getting fruits, vegetables, and salad just because they want to hurry to sit with a friend, or some other reason. We appreciate your support on this...to promote healthy eating habits!
Overall, the students are doing very well with the lunch program. Because they are serving themselves, they are taking what they like and they are eating it. We are not seeing much food thrown in the trash. They like how it tastes and they seem happy. Since it is NOT a pre-order situation and many of the items are fresh, we do run out of some items for the salad bar from time to time, but we are making the necessary adjustments. We are also a new school for District 11, of course, so getting all the food deliveries and our needs coordinated is a challenge.
Thank you for your patience! If you ever have a question or a concern, let us know. We are certainly open to your feedback. Please call us at 268-2100.